Friday, July 16, 2010

A basic vegetarian recipe

Rice and beans - let's face it, most of the world lives on some variation of grain/legume, and rice and beans are classic. Here, I use brown rice and mung beans -- but you can use other combos within the grain/legume families. Sometimes I substitute a bit of quinoa for the rice, for example.

Credit where credit is due: I first read a variation on this recipe in Yoga Journal, and awesome publication. :-) Since then, I've altered the recipe quite a bit.

Take 2-3 teaspoons curry powder and lightly sautee in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, just for a moment, on medium to low heat. When you start to smell the seasoning, add the following:

six cups water
1 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
1 cup mung beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon salt

Bring it to a boil, then turn down the heat so that there is just the barest of bubbling that goes on. It will cook slowly over the next hour or so. When all the liquid is absorbed, it's done.

Stir and serve with: steamed veggies and chutneys if desired.

Do you want it spicier? You can add other spices during the cooking process, such as grated ginger, mustard seeds, chili powder, cumin seed, finely minced jalepeno pepper,etc. The two teaspoons of curry powder are a fast and easy way to add seasoning. I hope you enjoy this basic, easy, and CHEAP recipe, as much as I have.

2 comments:

  1. Most beans take several hours to cook. Are Mung beans faster, more like lentils?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margo -- that's exactly why I suggest mung beans; you could also use lentils, or possibly split peas. You could use a pressure cooker, I suppose, although I've never done it and I'm not certain of how well it would work.

    ReplyDelete